Thursday, December 8, 2011

Twilight As Romantic Hope

Well, we have spent a ton of time talking about how poorly written Twilight is and that it doesn't hold a candle to Harry Potter. While I agree with both of these statements, I would consider this a very successful series of books. The reason I say this, is because it has sold millions and millions of copies. The movies are sold out weeks in advance, and it has become the biggest literary trend since the start of Harry Potter. The books, were okay, in my opinion. They may not have been challenging to read and all, but they were different from anything I have ever read before. The movies, however, ruined the whole thing for me.

But that is besides the point.
Where was I?
Right....

I think the reason I was so hooked on the books in the beginning is because the romantic game of tug-of-war between Jacob, Edward, and Bella kept me on my toes long enough to read the entire series (even though I was extraordinarily disappointed when Bella chose Edward). Beyond the struggle though, I think Twilight, for me, was a hopeful story of romance. I believe it could instill hope that there is that someone out there that we are supposed to be with forever. I don't know if Stephanie Meyer had intended on doing this, but I found it kind of comforting that despite all the fights, danger, and near-death experiences Bella encounters, that the love between her and Edward prevails...

I don't know. That could sound totally cheesy and pathetic and lame. But hey, I'm just a sucker for romance....

In a nutshell, the book was poorly written, it doesn't hold a candle to Harry Potter, but the romance had me hooked from the beginning.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that they book was poorly written. However, I also agree that it was a great marketing strategy to integrate the sexual tension from our society into the book.
    All things considered, I don't believe this book should be considered a rich piece of literature. As I stated in class, I think this is more of an entertaining book than anything.

    -angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think often times, if you read a book before the movie comes out, you become disappointed in the differences between the two. I did not read Twilight until AFTER I had already seen the movie so I was not as disappointed in the movie as many people are. In my senior year of high school, I think every single girl at my school was reading Twilight besides me and a few others and I refused to give in to popular trend. However, I completely understand why everyone became so addicted! I'm a complete sucker for romance as well and I could not put the book down. I didn't have a problem with the movies though, but that's just me. And of course, this is not supposed to be a rich piece of literature such as some of the classics like Great Gatsby or Jane Eyre but it is a good, fast read and there are several moments where you look down and realize you have read 20 pages without even noticing.

    -Katy Ferguson

    ReplyDelete